1. On the application fee

Do I have to pay an admission/application fee at LUCA?


Do I have to pay a fee at LUCA to take part in the artistic aptitude test or master assessment?


2. On the application procedure

How long will the whole application process take?

Degree students:

If the application process doesn’t involve an artistic aptitude test or master assessment we estimate a total of six to eight weeks from the moment your electronic file is completed (all required documents are uploaded and the motivational questions, if applicable to you, are answered) to the moment you receive an outcome on your application. Please note that due to public holidays or examination periods, this estimated time may be longer.

If the application process does involve an artistic aptitude test or master assessment the duration of the application process is really dependent on the timing of the test. If you applied early but opted for one of the later/latest test dates for the artistic aptitude test or master assessment it will take much longer to receive an outcome on your application.

Exchange students:

Once applied by the specified deadline, you’ll be informed about the outcome of your application within 6 weeks. The length of the application procedure is dependent on the internal selection process of the concerned departments.

Can I make more than one application?

Yes, you are allowed to make more than one application.

Please note that you can only register for one programme at a time. If you get admission to more than one programme, you will have to choose one programme in which you’d like to enroll.

I was admitted to a programme this year, but I was not able to come to LUCA and I want to defer my admission. How should I proceed?

You don’t have to re-apply except if you want to change the chosen study programme. If you defer without changing the programme or specialization your Admissions letter issued after a positive Artistic Aptitude Test (bachelor) is valid for two intake years and the Admission letter issued after a positive Master Assessment is also valid for two intake years

I was admitted to a two-year master programme. Why is there only one academic year mentioned on my admission letter? Does this mean I am not admitted to the second year of the programme?

We only send admission letters with admission for one academic year. After successful completion of your first academic year of study, you will be automatically admitted to the second year of the programme. You will not need to apply for the second year.

3. On the mandatory documents

Which attachments should I upload? 
Do I need to upload all the attachments mentioned on the list?

Please read the application requirements per application box/category here: https://www.luca-arts.be/en/international-programmes-degree-student. Click on ‘Applying as bachelor student’ for the Bachelor’s degree programme , ‘Applying as master student’ for the Master’s degree programme, ‘Applying as exchange student’ for Exchange programmes and ‘Applying as PhD student’. Scroll down to the mandatory documents to be submitted through the e-registration. Every applicant needs to upload the mandatory documents mentioned in this list.

Certified or legalized copies: what does it mean?

First of all, we need PDF scans of your diploma(s) and transcripts of academic records. The PDF scan has to be made from the official or certified/legalized copies of transcripts (or diplomas).  The hard copy can also be required by the Admissions Office for the evaluation of the application.

If your documents are not in English, Dutch, French or German, these documents have to be translated by a registered translator. These documents must also be certified by the educational institution that issued them or by a national authority.

How can I certify or legalize a hard copy of my diploma or transcript?

Basis ‘rule of thumb’ is that foreign documents must be certified or legalised in their country of origin. There are several ways to do this:

  • Certified’ copy:  

A certified copy can be used if the country where the diploma was issued has an agreement with Belgium concerning the exemption from legalisation or has ratified the Lisbon Recognition Convention. https://www.coe.int/en/web/conventions/full-list/-/conventions/treaty/165/signatures?p_auth=bn07Hlh6
A certified copy is a copy made by the institution authorised to do so, in this case, the academic institution or university that granted your transcripts/diploma/supplements. They stamp the copy, thereby attesting that it is a true copy of the original document.

  • Apostille:

If the country that issued the original document has signed the Apostille Convention (Convention of 5 October 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents), the competent authority in this country will apply the apostille seal on the copy of original diploma/transcript/translation. Requirements on how to get the seal: https://www.hcch.net/en/instruments/conventions/authorities1/?cid=41

More information: https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/services/legalisation_of_documents/faq/how_can_foreign_documents_be_legalised_use_belgium

If I have not graduated by the time of my application, can I still apply?

Yes, if you are still studying at the time of your application, you are requested to upload the provisional transcripts of your current studies to your application. This way the LUCA Admissions Department will be able to evaluate your grades and make a decision about your application. You will need to have completed your current studies successfully by the time you enroll at our school. If you cannot present us with a proof of graduation by the time of enrollment, you will not be allowed to enroll at our school.

I do not have a passport yet so I cannot upload a photocopy of my passport. What should I do?

Please upload a scanned copy of your identity card of your home country instead. You can upload a scanned copy of your passport once you have obtained one.